Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Off-the-cuff Jambalaya

My 2 yr old DS begged me to make something with the turkey smoked sausage I picked up at the store. I was in one of those unfortunate situations where I didn't have any idea what to make for dinner, so I made up a recipe. I love using my cast iron dutch oven pot. I started the meal on the stove top and then transferred to the oven.

Preheat oven to 375 F
In your dutch oven combine:

2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped

Heat oil, stir in garlic, celery and onion. Cook until onion is translucent but garlic isn't browned.
Add 2 cups of rice and 3 - 4 cups of chicken stock (I originally added 4 cups of stock but after adding the tomatoes it seemed like there was too much liquid)

Bring to a boil
Cut up smoked sausage

Once the dish is to a boil, add one or two bay leaves and 1 Tbsp Jambalaya spices. (I used Celestial Seasonings 7 Pepper Spices but since have tried to purchase more and cannot find it. I believe Zatarain's makes a Creole Seasoning which is great, I just didn't have it on hand. And their seasoning would probably require less than 1 Tbsp, maybe more like 1/2 Tbsp).

Add 1 (10 oz) can of tomatoes with chili's (or 1 jar of salsa)
1 (4 oz) can of tomato sauce - I guessed on size, i can't remember

Return dish to boil, turn off stovetop and move the dutch oven into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments: