Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Strawberry-Pineapple-Watermelon Smoothie

We had a bunch of watermelon left over and I didn't want to see it go to waste. My general rule of thumb for smoothies is a frozen fruit, a fresh fruit or yogurt and juice. Typically our fresh fruit is a banana but I decided to see how the watermelon worked out.
And I have to be honest, I don't measure much when i'm cooking so if it looks like too much at once try halving it and then working up from there.

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen pineapple
1 cup fresh watermelon
1 cup watermelon juice

We also added in 1-2 tsp of flax seed for Omega 3's and 1 packet of Culturelle probiotics

Combine all ingredients in your blender. I start with the frozen fruit on the bottom, then the fresh fruit and then pour the juice over. Blend ingredients, they should look smooth. The blender should be pulling the ingredients from the top and towards the bottom. If the ingredients are not moving, "juice it". I didn't have enough watermelon juice or any open juice so I added what I did have, Red Tea (Rooibos) which has a whole host of it's own benefits. Pour, sip, enjoy. Serves 4

No comments: